Sunday, November 29, 2009

Reply to Remy

Yes it's true that not everyone learns the same way. Yes, it's true that some people are great at taking tests, while others (much like myself) are not. And it's absolutely without a doubt true that the school system in Texas needs some serious change. You discuss S.B. No. 2033 in your blog, but I was a little unsure of your stance on the bill itself. You state that the bill "means that students will only be receiving the grades that they earned." Shouldn't it be that way to begin with? I don't know much about the minimum grading system. In fact I never even heard of it until now, but to me it sounds like we are giving students grades even if they would have failed the assignment otherwise. What message does that send? Part of school is to prepare kids for college and adult life. You can't half-ass things in the real world and expect to be given full credit. I am sure that dropouts will most definitely increase, since those students won't be "handed" their grades anymore. I am sure that I am sounding a little harsh on this, but where does it end?
I agree with you that they need to stop the lawsuits and come up with a better way of educating the kids. My suggestion? Create testing programs designed for young children to determine how they learn best. Develop programs that would best suit those needs and place the children accordingly. I know these things cost money and are easier said than done, but you have to start somewhere.

No comments: